ABOUT Shawn Wang
Sports, Entertainment and Media Law
Shawn Wang focuses his practice on sports, entertainment and media law, M&A, corporate finance and foreign investment. He represents entertainment industry clients, including inbound and outbound film and television production companies, distributors and co-financers, and has dealt with several cases in connection with co-financing projects between Chinese clients and Hollywood Studios. Shawn Wang also represents technology, media and commercial companies, as well as VC/PE which into technology, media and telecommunications companies.
Shawn was formerly a lawyer at Beijing Dacheng Law Offices and Zhonglun Law Firm in Shanghai. He is experienced in a diverse range of practice areas including cross-border M&A, foreign direct investment and corporate finance. He also represents in-bound and out-bound clients in the resolution of litigation and arbitration cases.
Bar Admissions and Qualifications
- New York State
- Fund Practitioner Qualification
- Talent Agent Qualification
- Sports Agent Qualification
- LL.M., University of Southern California, Gould School of Law, Certificate of Entertainment, 2013; B.A., East China University of Political Science and Law, 2007.
- Co-writer, China Commercial Disputes Resolution Annual Observation (2014) Motion Pictures and Television Part, Chinese and English, published by Beijing Arbitration Commission
- Co-writer, Copyright Production towards Current News Works by China’s Court
- Co-writer, Hollywood independent Motion Pictures Industry Legal Practice
- Columnist, Television Navigation magazine, publishing the articles of copyright protection.
- Representation of EE Media and Real Dream Pictures in connection with setting up SPV in Fiji, producing “Where Daddy Go 2”;
- Representation of a China gaming corporation listed in NASDAQ in connection with slate co-financing with Hollywood Studios;
- Representation of Kuwayi Media in connection with a live show performed by the signers of “I Am Singer”in Singapore;
- Representation of Shenji Pictures in connection with co-financing of the franchise movie “The Ghouls” (directed by Lu Chuan), and cofinancing and distributing “Lang Ya Bang”, “Wei Zhuang Zhe”, and other TV dramas;
- Representation of Meixun Pictures in connection with setting up film fund with Aoshan Real Estate, JIC Group.
- Representation of Hunan TV in connection with dealing with joint ventures, and dealing with production and distribution of reality shows, such as “Flowers and Young”, “Happy Camp”, “The School”;
- Representation of co-financing and distributing “The Bombing”, “Yep 3”, “ The Expendables 4”, “Skyline 2” and other films;
- Representation of Showin Media in connection with co-financing “The Moon and the Sun”;
- Representation of Maxmax Media in connection with production of reality show “Born Talents” with Zhejiang TV, and setting up TMT investment fund with Merchants Capital;
- Representation of Yoozoo Pictures in connection with setting up film fund with CAA and Bliss Media, setting up office in US, and dealing with the co-financing and distribution of “Three Body”, “The Crossing”;
- Representation of Bliss Media in connection with cooperation with Yoozoo, setting up investment company in Shanghai free trade zone, investing, producing and distributing “Hacksaw Ridge”, “Dragon and Phoenix”, “Enzo Ferrari”, “ Vingt mille lieues sous les mers” and other joint production films;
- Representation of Madong’s Mewe Media in connection of producing “Top Gear 2”(Chinese Version),”Let’s Talk”, and dealingwith talent agency;
- Representation of Director Jin Yimeng’s production company in connection with investing and distributing “Crazy New Year’s EVE” and other films;
- Representation of Director Wen Jiang’s production company in connection with agency deals;
- Representation of Shanghai Lemon Pictures in connection with investing and financing, developing, producing and
- distributing the TV dramas and motion pictures;
- Representation of Xin Pian Chang in connection with setting up private fund for investing the startups and internet
- series and films;
- Representation of Sugarman Pictures in connection with the talent agency and production of Internet series;
- Representation of SM Entertainment in legal research of compliance matters of foreign talent agency to do business in
- Representation of Pegsus in connection with co-financing China-US joint production film“Crouching Tiger, Hidden Dragon 2”.